Once upon a time a courageous warrior embarked on an epic journey.
Her journey started after she woke one day, looked around, and finally saw the whirling-world of motherhood she had been living in. Screaming. Crying. Arguing. Tantrums. Meltdowns. Busyness. Shame. Guilt. Disconnection. Confusion. Chaos. Her head told her "Wait and it will all pass". But her heart knew "There must be another way".
Feeling lost and alone she looked to other moms for comfort and guidance. Perhaps they held the keys to parenting success? But what she found in her village- hidden behind a veil of hazy picture-perfect motherhood moments- was the same familiar disconnection and chaos she had come to know.
Since as long as she could remember, her warrior-heart had always yearned to leave the world a better place then how she had found it. And so she felt the call to action. Like so many brave warriors before her, she began her journey to find hope, change, and resilience for the children and families in her village.
Over the past year, I find myself telling this story often. It is not a new story. Nor is it unique. But it is my story, and I have come to bravely tell it as my own.
This journey ultimately led me back 'home' to myself. And it was in this more grounded and connected place, that I remembered these words: Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
And so it was deep into nature- within one of the most beautiful transformations on earth- where I found a new approach for Child & Family Wellness. With the guidance of my Wellness Tribe, this approach has become our prescription to help guide families to move from chaos to connection.
A 3-Phase Transformational-Approach to move from Chaos to Connection
Phase One- The Caterpillar: Inspire Hope
- Gain knowledge and inspiration from other real moms and parents;
- Become a parent who is self-aware & self-compassionate;
- Rediscover the language of emotional awareness & attunement;
- Create a new relationship to your child's problems and challenging behaviours;
- Get unstuck from chaotic and rigid patterns of connecting with your child & family;
- Explore lifestyle choices that are keeping you stuck, and enjoy a more peaceful approach to parenting.
Phase Two- The Chrysalis: Foster Change
- Experience a safe and highly attuned space and relationship, where your child and family can re-discover and rebuild connections, and experience new healthy patterns of relating to each other;
- Allow your child and family the opportunity to tend and repair the big emotions that are bringing chaos into your home;
- Get the tools to parent successfully through difficult times and life transitions;
- Learn to listen and trust your parenting-intuition, and use it to continue to guide your child & family towards mental health and emotional resilience.
Phase Three- The Butterfly: Build Resilience
- Grow healthy-habits through your family's mind-body connection;
- Learn the art of 'bouncing-back' and rising strong when chaotic-patterns start to begin again;
- Build a community- your village- that supports your family's connection and healthy lifestyle;
- Become empowered and receive resources and support for continued growth and adaptation;
- Embrace your journey… and learn to stop and enjoy Counting Butterflies along the way.
The essence of this approach rests on my intrinsic belief that we, as moms, dads, teachers, and caregivers, are the gate-keepers to our children's own transformation and growth.
We are always journeying with our children. Holding them and walking beside them at times. And letting them go with the wings to fly alone in others. So as we journey with our children, we are continually called to transform and grow ourselves.
In celebration of our beautiful Village, I will be sharing inspirational stories of families who have journeyed towards mental health and wellbeing. These families have joined me and my family, and have moved from chaos to connection.... and have learned to stop and enjoy Counting Butterflies along their way.
Please visit back soon... I look forward to sharing these with you!
Meet the Author
Michelle has helped hundreds of children and families move from chaos to connection. Michelle holds a Masters in Counselling Psychology, and is a Writer, Therapist, and Speaker on Holistic-Integrative Child & Family Wellness Practices. She is the Fonder & Clinical Director of Counting Butterflies- leading her team and communities in developing sustainable solutions for family mental health. Michelle lives with her husband, daughter, two dogs, bunny, 5 chickens, and horse, on their ever-growing homestead in rural Ontario, Canada.